Friday, June 21, 2019

Dennis Craig Woods, BHS 1969

Dennis Craig Woods
February 11, 1951 - July 18, 1981

Dennis was born on February 11, 1951 in Los Angeles County, California to Charles Albert Woods and Irene Golub. He grew up in Burbank, attending Bret Harte Elementary School, Luther Burbank Junior High School and graduated from Burbank High School in 1969.

The Woods family lived around the corner from me on Avon Street between Jeffries Ave, and Victory Blvd. I use to talk to Mrs. Woods all the time but after I graduated from BHS in 1967, I did not see her much. But one day I was walking up Avon St. to pick up my truck at the corner which was in for repairs and Mrs. Woods was out watering the yard. I stopped to talk to her. It was then I learned that she was worried that her son Dale was getting out of prison and his brothers and sister did not want nothing to do with him. I had this strange look on my face and she said you heard what happened didn't you and I said no. She then told me that Dale shot and killed Dennis.

I asked what happened and she said, they the brothers went camping in Kern County near the Kern River and an argument and fight broke out between the two brothers and Dale shot and killed his brother Dennis. This happened on July 18, 1981 according to the CA Death Index. Mrs. Woods was worried as Dale was going to be released from prison in a couple weeks and she was not sure what would happened when he came home. I do not remember what year this was but it was several years after Dennis had died when I found out.

Dennis was survived by his parents, brothers, Charles (Chuck) Woods (BHS 67), Charlene Woods (BHS 69), Bruce Woods (BHS 70), Dale and Scott Woods.

NOTE: A few years ago I believe it was Dale died in the family home. He was found dead on the sofa. I found this out when I attended a neighborhood watch party across the street from the Woods house. One of the neighbors told me.

1 comment:

  1. This is very tragic news. I remember Bruce. He was very talented and very respectful. I am saddened to hear about his brothers passing.

    Susan D Earle
    BHS Class of '70

    ReplyDelete