Saturday, December 11, 2010

Regnal Hall, Burbank Music Teacher

Regnal Hall, Burbank High School Music Teacher

Regnal Hall relocated to heaven on November 27, 2010, just short of the age of 84.

His career in music began with playing in the Navy band from 1944-46. He taught music in Burbank for 30 years as the instrumental teacher at Jordan Junior High School from 1952-57, and as the vocal teacher at Burbank High School from1958-82.

He was known for his creativity and his willingness to embrace diverse styles of music. He was the forerunner of the Show Choir genre by producing the Pop ‘n Rockananny series of shows that began in 1969 and continue to this day. He helped to establish the national Young Men in Harmony program with the first barbershop boys chorus in 1972. From renaissance madrigals to Broadway musicals, almost no genre escaped his attention. He was a greatly-loved teacher who had two yearbooks dedicated to him.

After “retiring” from BHS in 1983, he served as the orchestra contractor at Disney Studios until 1990. He started a chorus at Burbank’s continuation high school with Disney’s partnership. He also directed 3 different church choirs in Burbank and composed sacred music for St. Mark’s in Glendale for the better part of 4 decades.

He is survived by his sons Steve (McMinneville, OR), Mark (Auburn, CA), daughter Leslie (Santa Clarita, CA) and sister Joyce (Sherman Oaks, CA).His memorial and a reception luncheon will be hosted on Sat. Jan. 15th at 11amat St. Mark’s Episcopal church in Glendale, CA located at 1020 No. Brand Blvd.

2 comments:

  1. My name is Chuck Blais and there have not been many people in my life that impacted it as much as Mr. Hall did. After my Freshman year I was in Miss Wolfson's acting class. She suggested that I would never make it in acting and perhaps I should try singing. I said okay and after my first audition with Mr. Hall he told me I had the potential of having a good voice. He taught me the love of singing. I might also mention I hated school at the time and the only thing that kept me going in High School were Mr. Halls choirs. Everyday I couldn't wait to sing and as I completed each year at BHS I became a better and better singer. When I graduated I thanked him for what he had done for me. With my singing I got into the Concert Choir at Arizona State Univ my Junior and Senior year and toured two times throughout Arizona and California. In the Navy I went through pilot training at Pensacola Florida and joined the Aviation Cadet Choir and toured the country for two years. Currently I have been singing 27 yrs on a Worship Team at the church I have attended. Singing is still my passion and I will continue singing to the day I die! Of course we will all be Worshiping God in Heaven in song and no doubt I know I will be singing with Mr Hall there someday when God calls me home. I am so thankful he was in my life and changed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Tim Cotton, BHS Class of 1977. Mr. Hall was by far the most impactful teacher of my schooling life. Because of his passion, devotion, and brilliance in directing voices, I have had many wonderful singing opportunities. My wife and I have sung in church choirs, chorales, ensembles, and duets for nearly 40 years. His dedication to the Young Men in Harmony program brought the joy of Barbershop music to many, and I decided to look for his entry here after singing with a quartet for a church ladies banquet last week, and couldn't stop thinking of him. He was a true mentor, not just of song, but of character and discipline. Heaven is a more musical and joyful place with him there, and Earth less so.

    ReplyDelete