Monday, September 20, 2021

Ronald Jeffery Benom, BHS 1965

 Ronald Jeffrey Benom, BHS 1965

Walter Gabrielson, Autobiography, "Persistence"

RON BENOM, Some things you would like to take back. Ron was an OK student at CSUN, he went on to have a small career and eventually moved down the street from me in Pasadena. Ron was also a nudge (pronounced noodge). When you are a nudge's teacher you have to put with it because it is the job. You have to put up with practically everybody for you are part of the institutional coping, blandness and authority in a way just like every other licensed professor. It is part of the job.

After Ron graduated and began his career I felt I was over him. But no, Ron engaged in post-graduate games in the form of coming up and handing around me like the lost soul during any social event or art opening we happened to cofrequent. He even looked like the tiny, forever-lost hangdog character of Western movies. He wouldn't go away, he would be there sticking to me like glue, my little pilot fish. I think Ron had the idea that the student-teacher relationship went on for life. And, he was such a nice, sweet, little guy, who wanted to hurt him? 

Finally, I got the courage to do something about it and I did the worst possible thing (others would disagree) that I have ever done to anybody in public. Ron came up to me at an opening and started the whole nudgie act up I turned to him before he really got it cranked up and said, "Ron, I am sorry but I have to go and talk to somebody more important right now." He was stunned. I walked away. After that he seldom talked to me.

I was the guy who kicked the puppy. He would look at me across a room with his sad eyes but not come any closer. I sincerely regretted doing it and I felt badly about it ten years later. I just recently heard he died. I really, really hope it wasn't from a broken heart.

----------------------------

Published in Los Angeles Times, Tuesday, July 14, 1992, Page 317, Col. 4

BENOM, Ronald J. passed away on July 11, 1992 at age 44. He is survived by the of his life, Linda Nishio; niece, Alison Ball; nephew, Tyler Ball; many loving friends and relatives. 

There will be a private memorial service on August 8, In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Kenneth Norris Jr. Cancer Hospital in Los Angeles.

-----------------------------

Ronald Jeffrey Benom was born on August 5, 1947 in Los Angeles County, California . The son of Joseph and Betty Dale Benom of Burbank, California . Ron passed away on July 11, 1992 in Pasadena, California. Married Linda Nishio. No other details at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment