Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Angelo Russell Brovelli, BHS 1955, Played for the RAMS

Angelo Russell Brovelli, BHS 1955
September 14, 1936 - January 8, 2018

Angelo grew up in Burbank and graduated from Burbank High in 1955 where he played football, baseball and was involved in Art, Key Club, Legislative Council, Boys League President and Vice President, Lettermans Club and Senior B President.

After graduating from Burbank High he played football with the Los Angeles Rams. In the 2000 Burbank High Yearbook it says: December 16, 1960 - On the same day, former BHS Athletics Angelo Brovelli and Frank Sullivan were traded by their football and baseball teams, respectively. Brovelli was an all league lineman who was traded from the Los Angeles Rams to the Green Bay Packers, while Sullivan, both a baseball and basketball star at BHS, was traded by the Boston Red Sox to the Philadelphia Phillies. 

Angelo passed away on January 8, 2018 in Arrowhead Lake, California at the age of 81. Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery, San Bernardino, California handled the arrangements.
From Thom McGraham
March 27, 2019

God Bless Angelo! I founded a restaurant bar called Tinhorn Flats Bar and Grill at 2623 West Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank Calif. in 1977 (it's still there). I have fond memories of Angelo and knew him well because I bought a 1968 yellow Volkswagen from him in cherry condition and he used the money to relocate to Arrowhead to open a gym. I remember Angelo told me he played for the L.A. Rams in 1957 and for a salary of $7,000 per year. He was always athletic and in the mid-80s, was a powerful body builder. In fact, a film short was shot at my business and Angelo was in it and paid well. I always liked Angelo, He was a very nice man and second, because he had a great sense of humor. I'm sorry he's gone but he lived a good live. God rest his soul.


BHS Baseball
















BHS Football

4 comments:

  1. My brother Jessie Gonzales was a good friend of Angelo's in high school and for years after. We. the Gonzales family are saddened to hear of his passing. He was a 'good guy'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of Angelo's passing. He was a good friend of my brother Jessie Gonzales during their high school years and after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to have just read about Angelo’s passing. I loved and admired him I was much younger. Angelo had worked for several years for my dad and his brothers at the family’s Budweiser distributor ship in San Fernando. He was such a great guy, and having played for the Rams he was an icon I’ll always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear, I worked with him at Budwiser in Sylmar he was a great guy I remember that VW an visited his gym in arrowhead. Miss you my brother

    ReplyDelete