Friday, September 14, 2018

Manuela Nellie Torres, BHS 1985

Authorities Say Body Is That of Bride to Be
September 01, 1993

TIMOTHY WILLIAMS | TIMES STAFF WRITER

SUNLAND — The body of a woman found shot and wrapped in plastic sheets in the Angeles National Forest was identified Tuesday as a 26-year-old Pacoima woman who disappeared after meeting with her fiance and the minister who was to marry them, authorities said.

Manuela Nellie Torres was last seen alive Aug. 19 in a Montrose church, where she and her fiancee met with Isaiah Yoo, the pastor of a congregation that rents space at the First Baptist Church in Montrose, authorities said.

That evening, Yoo had talked with the couple about decorations, food and entertainment for the wedding ceremony that was scheduled to be held at the church Saturday, Yoo said. Afterward, Yoo's wife joined the three in a prayer asking for a successful marriage, Yoo said. "They seemed very happy together," Yoo said.

After the meeting, which ended about 7:45 p.m., Torres and her fiancee, whom authorities have not identified, left in separate vehicles, said Benita Hinojos of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The following morning, Torres' fiancee filed a missing persons report with the San Fernando Police Department, Hinojos said.

Forest rangers found Torres' decomposing body Aug. 25 near mile marker 6.44 near Big Tujunga Canyon Road. On Monday, Glendale police found Torres' 1989 Mazda pickup truck in Glendale, Hinojos said. Homicide investigators have no suspects in the case.

Torres, who worked as a mail carrier, had taken Bible study classes and attended Woo's church for about three years. "We are really shocked," Yoo said of the 25-member congregation. "There is no reason for this kind of thing to happen. Everybody liked her."

11 comments:

  1. Was this case ever resolved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this murder ever solved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her murder was never solved and remains a cold case according to her fellow classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My!! This is the saddest story ever. My heart and prayers go out to her family , friends, and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is this case left unresolved!!!!??? Go after her fiancé!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would reopen this case!!!

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately, the case will probably never be solved. I was her close friend at the time, and the saddest part was that she was pregnant as well. To this day, I don’t believe it was her fiancé. What it didn’t say in the newspaper article was that it was a “hit” style murder. I believe it was ordered by the mother of her fiancé so she wouldn’t have to disown her son for marrying a non-Armenian. The fiancé had told me of his cousin having been disowned by the family previously for the same reason. The sheriff’s detective told me that it would be very difficult to prove unless they could follow the money, and people in the mother’s position often kept large amounts of cash that couldn’t be traced and that the “hit man” was probably long gone from the area. It angers me to this day that more was not done and that the news didn’t cover a missing Mexican girl, but they did cover a missing white girl that same week. There was never much of an effort made in her case. I still think about her often and miss her positivity and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compassion for Nellie. I am a ex girlfriend of her brother Joel Torres and Joel and I share a similar heartbreaking similarity in the loss of our family member. I often nudge Joel to have case reopened but he fails to press the case. I often check because it’s not justified and it bothers me knowing the family and how wonderful she was said to be. Thank you for sharing . If there is any thing more ghat you can remember please do share so we may find justice for Nellie. God Bless

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your compassion for Nellie. I am a ex girlfriend of her brother Joel Torres and Joel and I share a similar heartbreaking similarity in the loss of our family member. I often nudge Joel to have case reopened but he fails to press the case. I often check because it’s not justified and it bothers me knowing the family and how wonderful she was said to be. Thank you for sharing . If there is any thing more ghat you can remember please do share so we may find justice for Nellie. God Bless

      Delete
    3. It is to my deepest regret that still to this day...not the sisters brothers or parents have pursued the death in finding justice for this beautiful lady God Bless your soul sweet angel in heaven...may she rest in peace solemnly...I come back to this page ever so often ...to only find very few that pay the vocal share forward and keep her name alive as she ...I did not know personally but shared fifteen years of my life with her little brother Joel Torres who has now disappeared being gone two years and no trace of his being anywhere. Parents have no answers and sisters avoid my email.. Joel had struggled with what most sought him to be a paranoid skitz ..but something just does not sit right ..first Nelly now heri brother ..just makes me wonder ...what's really wrong with this picture ..Joel has mentioned the name Bronco that lived on Harps and the arusivu family and a name of Margarita.. I do not have clues yet but I am looking for answers...Nelly ...if you hear me in spirit...please watch over your little brother ..he loves you dearly and wanted answers ..know you are missed by Joel something fierce...

      Delete
  7. My heart still breaks for Nellie. I still have pictures from her baby shower that I can't part with. Nellie had such a good heart. Everyone, that was close to Nellie, knows who did this to her and yet the case remains unsolved. God bless you Nellie you were loved.

    ReplyDelete